Please, please with a cherry on top! Often when we think of cherries, we think of a sweet treat on top of a decadent desert dish, but we now know cherries are really the big treat carrying super health benefits. Skip the ice cream, and enjoy a bowl of cherries instead, because cherries not only taste good but also help you look and feel good from the inside out.
If you are following the Beauty Food posts every week, you’ll make the connection that outer beauty ( our skin, bright eyes, hair) are dependent on the health of our inner system ( our cells, organs and blood). I like the analogy of a symphonic orchestra which is comprised of many instruments making up its whole. Our human body is highly orchestrated, and to simplify, our mind, body and spirit are all playing music together. So you can imagine if one instrument is out of tune how it can effect the overall performance, and in the case of our bodies–our feeling of well-being. Everything is connected and cherries are so wonderful because they assist with so much and in a sense help your body play beautiful music!
Cherries are grown in Europe, Asia and North America and are popular in both the East and West. In the West they are considered a super fruit offering iron, antioxidants and anthocyanins (the red pigment in the cherry). There are may research studies finding cherries can help reduce pain and inflammation. In Chinese Medicine cherries are sometimes called ‘the fruit of the fire’, as they are sweet and warm, warming the body, strengthening the spleen and stomach and counteracting fatigue. They are known as super fruits for a reason, because not only can they battle fatigue but they can put you to sleep too! Yes you need your beauty sleep!
Skin Benefits of Cherries ~
Rich in Antioxidants
Mild Exfoliating Properties
Fine Lines & Wrinkles
Rich in Vitamin A, C
Contains Vitamin E, K
Rich in Beta Carotene
Rich in Potassium, Magnesium & Iron
So forget the glass of wine before bed (may interrupt your sleeping pattern anyway) and have a bowl of cherries! Cherries are believed to be sleep inducing agents as they contain a chemical called melatonin, which regulates the sleeping pattern. Sleep is of absolute importance for overall health and beauty. A sound sleep eventually results in glowing and radiant skin.
Rich in vitamins A, B, C & E, a little cherry treat is sufficient for the multivitamin dosage needed by the body to keep the skin radiant and healthy. Now that’s sweet!
Truly Herself, Lauroly
Tips to select cherries:
- Buy cherries which are firm and have a glossy surface. Avoid those with cuts or bruises.
- Dark coloured cherries are the best to pick as they indicate proper ripeness.
- Cherries with bright green stems are ideal for eating. Those without stem should be consumed first as they tend to stale very quickly.
Tips to store cherries:
- Cherries are delicate fruits and need to be stored properly in order to get the best flavor.
- If kept in room temperature they should be consumed within 2 days, else they’ll start getting dull and won’t be healthy to eat.
- Cherries can be stored for about a week by freezing them in the refrigerator. Keep them in a plastic pouch and place in the refrigerator.
- Cherries should be washed only before eating. Washing and then storing will quicken deterioration. Always store unwashed cherries in the refrigerator.